Soon after my husband and I met he told me he loved gnocchi and steak, so on our next date I was sure to cook him both! He fell in love with me. They say a way to a man’s heart is through his stomach and in my case that proved to be true. I have always prepared many special meals from the time we were married up until now. I like to make foods that my kids and husband love. Gnocchi is one of their favorites. Making it from scratch is a lot easier than you might think. It is about one hour from start to finish. For a meal, that is not too bad. Before you make gnocchi you need to be sure you have a few essential items to help you in the kitchen. Here is a list to follow:
- 3 large russet potatoes
- a large wood cutting board or pastry board
- a fork or gnocchi board
- a pastry scraper
- a large clean work surface
- a good quality extra virgin olive oil
- All-purpose flour
- a wire mesh ladle (important)
Follow my recipe for handmade gnocchi and you will be able to impress your family with a delicious light as air pasta.
A few hints:
- work with the potatoes while they are hot,
- use mitts when handling the hot potato,
- once you start the dough making process, don’t stop, keep it going until you have created a loaf
- put the finished gnocchi on a floured surface so they don’t stick
- pile up the gnocchi into the wire mesh ladle and put them in the boiling water in batches.
- Test one or two gnocchi first and then you know how long to cook the entire batch
- Use on the day you make, fresh is best!
- Use the wire mesh ladle to fish them out of the water
- Serve with a butter or light tomato sauce
These go quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy!